Assamese Cuisine is famous for its simplicity and rustic flavour. The cuisine is characterized by very little use of spices, slow cooking over fire and strong flavors due mainly to the use of endemic exotic fruits and vegetables that are either fresh, dried or fermented. Winter is the season when you can get different kinds of vegetable which goes very well with Fish. Fish curry with radish is one of such kind of delicious rustic combination. Let’s cook “Assamese fish curry with radish || Mular xoite Maasor Aanja” this winter.
Ingredients to prepare Assamese fish curry with radish:-
One radish weighing about 150 gms
4 pieces of Fish steaks (preferably Xol Maas, although I have used Katla)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 whole dried red chili
1 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coarsely grounded ginger
Salt to taste
Instructions to prepare Assamese fish curry with radish:-
- Peel off the skin of radish and cut into round pieces and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and pat dry fish steaks.
- Marinate with salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder for 15 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan. Shallow fry the fish steaks on medium heat each side for 2 minutes. Keep aside the fried fish steaks
- Put cumin seeds and dried red chilli into the remaining oil of the pan. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add radish pieces and stir. Cover with a lid for 3 minutes on low flame. Let it caramelized.
- Add remaining turmeric powder. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Time to add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Add fried fish steaks into the pan.
- Allow the curry to simmer for aprox. 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add coarsely grounded ginger.
- Cover with a lid and rest for 3 minutes.
- It is ready.
- Serve this Assamese style fish curry with radish || Mular xoite Maasor Aanja with hot steamed rice.