Dhekiya is a green leafy vegetable. This is known as Dhekiya Xaak in Assam and is an edible fern. It is mostly consumed in Assam and North Eastern States of Assam. Dhekiya is known as Fiddlehead Fern in English. There is a saying in Assamese “Outenga dhekiya xaak, jibhar pani pori thaak”, which means dhekiya xaak and elephant apple is a mouth watering dish. I love to prepare tangy dhekiya xaak curry during summer days. Let us cook something deliciously different “Borali maas aru dhekiyar tenga anjaa.”
Ingredients of Borali Maas aru Dhekiyar Tenga Anjaa
- 4 pieces of Borali Fish (Wallago Attu)
- 1 bundle of Dhekiya xaak (Fiddlehead fern) chopped
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 green chili
- 2 cups of Luke warm water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp mustard oil + for deep frying
How to Make Borali Maas aru Dhekiyar Tenga Anjaa
- Marinate fish pieces with turmeric powder and salt and leave for 10 mins.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and shallow fry fish until lightly brown. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of mustard oil in the same pan, add fenugrrek seeds and green chili. Saute for 1 min.
- Put the chopped dhekiya xaak into the pan and sauté for 4/5 mins.
- Once the xaak becomes soft, add water, bring it to boil and cook for 3 mins.
- Add lemon juice and season with salt.
- Add fish pieces and cook for another 5 minutes.
- The sour fish curry is ready to serve with steamed rice.
Enjoy cooking borali maas aru dhekiyar tenga anjaa.