I am sure that everyone is familiar with the classic pineapple upside-down cake, topped with rings of canned pineapple and dotted with neon-red maraschino cherries. What many people don’t know is that nearly any fruit can be subbed in for the pineapple-cherry combo with fresh, delicious results. Mandarin Orange is one of a such kind of fruit which can be used to prepare a perfect Mandarin Orange Cake II Upside Down Orange Cake. This is a vegan recipe.
The mandarin orange, also known as the mandarin or mandarine, is a small citrus tree with fruit resembling other oranges. Mandarins are smaller and oblate, rather than spherical like the common oranges (which are a mandarin hybrid). The taste is considered less sour, as well as sweeter and stronger. A ripe mandarin is firm to slightly soft, heavy for its size, and pebbly-skinned. The peel is very thin, with very little bitter white mesocarp, so they are usually easier to peel and to split into segments. Let’s bake this fresh Vegan Mandarin Orange Cake II Upside Down Orange Cake.
Ingredients require to prepare Mandarin Orange Cake || Upside Down Orange Cake:-
8 nos of Mandarin Oranges
1 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp + 3/4th cup caster sugar
1 & 3/4th cup of Maida/ plain flour
1/4th cup of Veg oil
Few drops of vanilla essence
1.5 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of soy milk or almond milk
1 tbsp vinegar
Pinch of salt
Instructions to bake Mandarin Orange Cake || Upside Down Orange Cake:-
- Take a loose bottom tart tin.
- Grease the tin with margarine and dust 2 tbsp caster sugar on the bottom of the tin.
- Cut each orange horizontally into three slices and arrange the slices on the bottom of the tin as shown in the picture above.
- Take a bowl. Add soy milk or almond milk and vinegar into the bowl. Whisk well for 1 minute.
- Add remaining caster sugar and mix well until dissolves.
- Add vanilla essence and mix gently for 10 seconds.
- Add veg oil and mix gently for 15 seconds. Cream mixture is ready.
- In another bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, until combined. (avoid over mixing)
- Pour this mixture into the greased tin.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for 50 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Rest it for 15 minutes. Vegan Mandarin Orange Cake is ready to serve.